Kent James January 24, 2012 •
ExQuilla is an addon for Mozilla's Thunderbird email client that allows access to both messages and contacts stored on Exchange Server 2007, 2010, or 2013. ExQuilla uses EWS (Exchange Web Services) for access to the server. ExQuilla (beginning with release 24) will work with either Thunderbird 17.* or 24.* on Windows, Linux, and OSX platforms. Support for Thunderbird 31.* will be available soon, and at that point support for Thunderbird 17 will be dropped.
ExQuilla is not free software, but is licensed on an annual basis. New users are granted a free 60 day trial license automatically. For further information on ExQuilla licensing, see the ExQuilla Licensing Overview page.
You may download the current revision of ExQuilla from this link:
To install, download and save this file. Then from Thunderbird, open Tools/Add-ons, click on the Addon tools button and select "Install Add-on From File". Install the downloaded file, then restart Thunderbird.
The current version of ExQuilla supports messages and contacts. Calendar features (which work with the Lightning addon) are being added experimentally, and are not yet officially supported.
Supported Messaging Features
- Normal reading, replying, composing, sending email
- Thunderbird message filters
- Thunderbird's bayesian junk mail filters
- Virtual folders and folder-level search
Unsupported Messaging Features
- Synchronizing Thunderbird tags and Exchange categories
- Offline message sending
- Thunderbird message starring is not synchronized with Exchange message flags
- S/MIME messages can be read but not sent
Supported Contact (Address Book) features
- Most standard Thunderbird fields
- Subfolders of Exchange "Contacts" folder
Unsupported Contact (Address Book) features
- Exchange-only fields (such as Spouse)
- User photo
Instructions and Support
After installation, follow these instructions to add an Exchange Server account to Thunderbird. For additional information or help, see ExQuilla's help resources, as a question on the general forum, or submit a support ticket (login required).
To buy an individual license, go to this webpage:
To buy a domain license, go to this webpage:
Individual licenses cost $10 per year.
Domain licenses cost $25 per domain plus $5 per user (with a minimum of 5 users), per year.
Kent James Apr 15 •
We have released an updated version of ExQuilla, version 38.0.1156, that supports both Thunderbird 31 as well as Thunderbird 38.
Existing users who downloaded ExQuilla from the mesquilla.net site should be updated automatically within a few days. Users who downloaded from the Mozilla addons site will need to wait a few weeks until the review is complete there, or you may download the current revision of ExQuilla from these links:
OSX (Mac): http://mesquilla.net/exquilla-currentrelease-tb-osx.xpi
Major changes in the version since the previous version (31.0.1136):
- Support for Thunderbird 38 added, support for Thunderbird 24 dropped (but see note below)
- Fixed: Startup failure fixed for profiles with large numbers of folders
- Multiple connections to the Exchange server are supported, speeding up message sync
- If a custom form-based authentication is used, the custom form will now popup to allow entering account credentials.
- Autodiscover will be used to update the URL if connection to the server fails
- Fixed: SaveAll encoded the attachment name incorrectly
- Hidden folders are now hidden in the folder tree
- Support Thunderbird's fcc reply follow parent option
If for some reason you are still running the older Thunderbird 24 release (24.2 or later), you will not be automatically downloaded. However, you can download the updated ExQuilla, released as version 31.1.1156, that will work with Thunderbird 24 or 31:
Versions compatible with Thunderbird 24 (and 31):