ExQuilla is an addon for Mozilla's Thunderbird email client that allows access to both messages and contacts stored on Exchange Server 2007 - 2015. ExQuilla uses EWS (Exchange Web Services) for access to the server. ExQuilla (for versions beginning with 52.*) will work with Thunderbird 52.* on Windows, Linux, and OSX platforms. (Earlier ExQuilla versions worked with earlier versions of Thunderbird, but are no longer being updated.)
ExQuilla is not free software, but is licensed on an annual basis. New users are granted a free 60 day trial license automatically. For further information on ExQuilla licensing, see the ExQuilla Licensing Overview page.
You may download the current revision of ExQuilla from this link, usable on all three supported operating systems:
To install, download and save this file. Then from Thunderbird, open Tools/Add-ons, click on the Addon tools button and select "Install Add-on From File". Install the downloaded file, then restart Thunderbird.
The current version of ExQuilla supports messages and contacts. Calendar features are not supported.
Supported Messaging Features
- Normal reading, replying, composing, sending email
- Thunderbird message filters
- Thunderbird's bayesian junk mail filters
- Virtual folders and folder-level search
Unsupported Messaging Features
- Synchronizing Thunderbird tags and Exchange categories
- Offline message sending
- Thunderbird message starring is not synchronized with Exchange message flags
- S/MIME messages can be read but not sent
Supported Contact (Address Book) features
- Most standard Thunderbird fields
- Subfolders of Exchange "Contacts" folder
Unsupported Contact (Address Book) features
- Exchange-only fields (such as Spouse)
- User photo
Instructions and Support
After installation, follow these instructions to add an Exchange Server account to Thunderbird. For additional information or help, see ExQuilla's help resources, as a question on the general forum, or submit a support ticket (login required).
To buy an individual license, go to this webpage:
To buy a domain license, go to this webpage:
Individual licenses cost $10 per year.
Domain licenses cost $25 per domain plus $5 per user (with a minimum of 5 users), per year.